in 1904, the spacious
adobe building served as the schoolhouse
for Fort Davis's children until the 1930s.
The irrigation pump house in back of the inn was originally the girls'
outhouse. A neighbor recalls helping his father plant the pecan orchard,
which is now such a prominent feature, when his family purchased the
entire block in the 1930s.
addition to being a schoolhouse, the structure has served as an apartment
building and as a private home for several different owners. But
through all of these various incarnations, it has always been known
as The Schoolhouse.